Sunday, March 4, 2012

Slugger

It's official:  I'm a sports dad!

Since I took my laziness to the extreme and mailed in his tee-ball application, rather than drive the three blocks to sign him up in person, I wasn't sure until yesterday that our letter had actually arrived.  But now that we've received our email welcome to the West Seattle Li'l Pirates, it's on!

At least, it's on for me.  I have no idea how Finn is going to take his first foray into competitive sports.  After all, this is the kid who told me that "roadblocks hurt (his) feelings" when we encountered construction the other day and who spends an entire game of Chutes & Ladders excitedly trying to hit a chute.  Maybe it's just me, but I'm not getting a killer instinct vibe.

We're going to need to work on this quickly, as we've got just three weeks before the games start.  That doesn't give me much time to teach him the fundamentals - like how to slide into second base with your spikes up.  I hear those tiny little baseball uniforms look adorable covered in dirt & blood.

No mercy.

I'm a little disappointed that they put him on the Li'l Pirates.  Hopefully they're a lot better than the big Pirates.  And hopefully Finn's Pirates debut goes better than AJ Burnett's.  

Of course, if Finn manages to break his face bunting off a tee, I think we'll just pack the whole tee-ball career up and head home to play Chutes & Ladders.



1 comment:

Tom Riles www.tomriles.com said...

Hey man. My little guy is only three months old. I can't wait till it is t-ball time. I love you site, any interest in having content featured on www.LifeofDad.com , the first social network for fathers? Send me a msg, I would love to connect. tom@lifeofdad.com