Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Things you forget

Turns out there are quite a few things that one forgets if one goes nearly five years between children.

In no particular order, here are a few of them:
  1. Babies want to be held.  Like, always.
  2. Every day is a brand new day.  Trends don't exist.  Until they do.
  3. Perhaps most important:  babies REALLY jump when you pop the champagne.  The first couple of times.
I also forgot how well alcohol goes with paternity leave.  

As a second time dad, one of the things that I haven't forgotten - and in face now much better realize - is how fleeting all of this time is.  Edie is only going to fit into her "I (strawberry heart) Daddy" onesie for so long before I'm calling in anonymous police tips about potential boyfriends and creating fake Facebook accounts so I can cyber-parent her.

I'd better cherish the crap out of this quiet time, just like I was cherishing the crap out of the nighttime race I had with Finn to Rite Aid last night.  We jumped shadows.  We fought bad guys.  We bought medicine to help Mommy put her lady parts back in order.  And beer.  OK, mostly beer.  Because Rite Aid has really cheap beer.

Is it wrong to have cherished memories of evening beer runs with your four year old?

If it is, I don't wanna be right.

No comments: